As a first, we will like to Congrats your good self for being the proud owner of the fantastic Moto G6, which is, probably, the best Android smartphone to buy in a budget. Talking about specs, the new Moto G6 is rolled by the manufacturer with a 1.8 GHz Octa-Core processor and 4 GB of RAM which gives it plenty of power. Performing daily tasks on the Moto G6 are like eating a piece of cake. Cherry on the top is that the Moto G6 comes with 64 GB of internal storage which can be expanded to 128 GB with the aid of a Micro SD Card. Shutter bugs have got a reason to rejoice as the Moto G6 comes with a 12 MP rear camera and a 16 MP front camera. You can even unlock the bootloader of Moto G6 easily thereby enabling you to install custom ROMs for it.
Running on Android Oreo, the Moto G6 is, actually, a perfect device for those Android users who love to install custom ROMs or root their device in order to tap on its amazing power and potential. Motorola is pretty lucky in this regard as, already stated above, the bootloader can be unlocked easily and the Moto family has got some amazing custom ROMs and Mods under its hood. In this guide we are going to share with you the steps to unlock bootloader, install TWRP and root Moto G6.
Root & Install TWRP Custom Recovery on Moto G6 | Supported Models & Prerequisites
Following is the list of devices supported by the process mentioned in this guide. Please refrain from trying out the process on any model other than the ones mentioned below:
Once you have confirmed your device’s model number please go through the following prerequisites to make sure that you are ready for the rooting process.
- It is recommended that the battery level on your device must be 60-70% before initiating the rooting process.
- Please install ADB & Fastboot on your PC.
- You need to enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging on your Moto G6 device. These are present under ‘Developer Options’ in ‘Settings’ which can be activated by tapping on the ‘Build Number’ for about 5-6 times.
- Don’t forget to take a complete backup of your Android device before proceeding.
It is advised that you follow the steps carefully as we cannot be held responsible for any kind of error on your part. If you don’t have the complete knowledge as to what you are doing to your device, please refrain from rooting your device.
Root Moto G6 | Essential Downloads Before Rooting
Please download the following files which are required in the rooting process:
- TWRP Recovery for Moto G6
- Boot Images (No Verity)
- Encryption-Disabler for ALI
- Latest Magisk 16.4 Beta
Unlock Bootloader Moto G6 [STEPS]
- As a first please make your way to the folder on your PC where you have installed ADB & Fastboot and launch a command window by pressing Shift+Right Click and selecting the option of ‘Open Command Window Here’ from the pop-up menu.
- Please make sure that you have Motorola USB Drivers Installed on your PC. Post that connect your device to the PC and key in the following command in the command window. You will get to see the serial number of your device if you have successfully connected the same to your PC.
- Restart your device into bootloader mode with the help of the following command.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device has rebooted please enter the following command and you will get a code comprising of numbers and alphabets in 5 lines.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Copy that entire code into one line and navigate your way to the Motorola Website where you require to sign in using your Google Account or Motorola ID.
- You will see a text field labelled as ‘Can My Device Be Unlocked?’ Paste the code there and from the bottom of the page tap on ‘Request Unlock Key‘ and hit the ‘I Agree‘ button.
- An email containing the unlock key will be received on your registered email address. You need to copy that unlock key and put the same in the following command by replacing ‘unlock_key.’
fastboot oem unlock unlock_key
- Congrats! You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your device. Please restart your device now.
Install TWRP Recovery & Root Moto G6 [STEPS]
- Restart your device into bootloader mode by keying the following command.
adb reboot bootloader
- You have already downloaded the TWRP recovery. Enter the following command and your device will boot into TWRP recovery by temporary installing the same. If your confirmation is asked please provide the same.
fastboot boot <twrp_recovery_file_name.img>
- Next you require making a backup of your stock boot image. You can do the same by keying in the following command.
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot stockboot.img adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery stockrecovery.img
- After this please reboot your device again into bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- You must have downloaded the No Verity Boot Image file according to your device in the beginning. Please type the following command to flash the same.
fastboot flash boot <insert boot image name here>.img
- Great! Now you require flashing the TWRP Recovery by utilizing the following command.
fastboot flash recovery <twrp_recovery_file_name.img>
- Please reboot your device into recovery mode. If password screen comes up ignore the same.
- From the TWRP menu choose Wipe -> Format Data and key in ‘Yes’ in the relevant text field for clearing the internal storage of your device. Again from the menu select Advanced -> ADB Sideload and perform a swipe.
- Next, you need to flash the verity disabler by utilizing the following command. This will prevent force encryption upon booting up of your device.
adb sideload Force_Encryption_Disabler_For_ALI_Oreo_v2.zip /tmp
- Great! Now, you just need to sideload the Magisk file and you will get the root access on your Moto G6 device.
adb sidleoad Magisk-v16.6.zip /tmp
- That’s it folks! Now simply reboot your device and you are done.
Unlock Bootloader, Root & Install TWRP Custom Recovery for Moto G6
These were the steps that you need to follow to unlock bootloader, root and install custom recovery TWRP on your Moto G6 device. For any kinds of doubts or questions please use the comments section below.
You may like to read the following posts:
- Root & Install TWRP Recovery on Moto G6, Moto G6 Plus & Moto G6 Play.
- Download and Install Android P Custom ROM [GUIDE].