The craze for Motorola smartphones hasn’t died and this is evident from the Moto G Series, which encompasses some of the excellent smartphones from Motorola. The brand has a loyal fan following, even though the relationship between Motorola & Google, for creating flagship devices, ceased to exist long back. The latest entrant to the Moto G Series are the Moto G6 & G6 Plus & G6 Play, which are dominating the customers who prefer buying mid-range smartphones with cool features. But, if you really want to push your G6 or G6 Plus’ or G6 Play’s performance to the next level then you have to go for rooting your smartphone and that is what this guide is all about. Below, we are going to share with you the steps to root and install TWRP Recovery on Moto G6 & G6 Plus and even Moto G6 Play.
Root Moto G6 Plus [Steps to Unlock Bootloader]
We will be using patch boot image file to root Moto G6 Plus. Let us start:
- First of all, you need to ensure that your G6 Plus is running on the software version OPW27.113-45. Please don’t attempt to use the same set of steps for any other device and if you are executing the same on Moto G6 Plus, you need to confirm the software version before proceeding.
- Next, you require unlocking the bootloader on your G6 Plus. For that, please install ADB & Fastboot on your PC and navigate to Motorola Bootloader Unlock Website.
- Also, before you unlock the bootloader of your device please make sure that you have taken a complete backup of all the essential data on your device.
- Sign in using your Motorola Account. If you don’t have one you can create it or login using your Google Id.
- The ‘Unlock your Bootloader’ page will open up now.
- Come back to your G6 Plus and enable OEM unlock. For that, please navigate to Settings -> About Phone and tap on Build Number about 7 times to activate Developer Options. Inside Developer Options you can enable OEM Unlocking.
- Thereafter press and hold Volume Down + Power for 3-4 seconds and release to reboot your device into bootloader mode. Connect the device to your PC thereafter.
- Navigate to the folder where you have installed ADB & Fastboot and press Shift + Right Click. Select the option ‘Open Power Shell Window Here’ from the pop-up menu that comes up.
- In the command window key in the following command to retrieve your unlock key.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- You will get 5 strings prefixed by the term ‘(bootloader).’ You just need to copy the 5 strings into one line without the term ‘(bootloader).’
- Now, the Motorola ‘Unlock Your Bootloader‘ page must be opened on your system. You need to copy and paste this string into the Step 7 of that page and tap on ‘Can my device be unlocked button?.‘
- Great! Now your request will get processed and you will see a ‘Request Unlock Key’ button appearing at the bottom. Accept the legal agreement and then tap on this button.
- An email will be sent on the Id which you used to sign in to the Motorola page which will contain the unlock key. Copy it and key in the following command in the command window.
fastboot oem unlock paste-the-key-here
- Cool! The bootloader unlock will be confirmed by your device now and it will automatically reboot.
Root & Install Custom Recovery on Moto G6 Plus
- You had activated Developer Options in the above steps. Please enable USB Debugging from the same.
- Please download the patched boot image file from here.
- If you have removed your device from PC, then please connect it again. Copy the patched boot image file to the folder where ADB & Fastboot is installed and launch Command Window in that folder, as you did in the above steps.
- Key in the following command to check for successful connection of your device with the PC.
- Next key in the following command to reboot your device into bootloader mode, also known as fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device enters into bootloader mode you need to key in the following command to flash the patched boot image file.
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- Great! Post flashing process key in the following command to reboot your device.
- After successful reboot you need to download and install the latest Magisk Manager Apk on your device. From the Magisk Manager application please install Magisk. You require selecting the ‘Direct Install’ method. The same steps are mentioned in the linked guide above.
- That’s it the root access will get enabled on your G6 Plus now.
Now, following are the steps to root and install custom recovery on Moto G6 Play.
Root & Install Custom Recovery on Moto G6
[Update*]: Here is the complete guide on How to root and Install TWRP on Motot G6 using Magisk!
Root Moto G6 Play [STEPS]
Following Moto G6 Play devices are compatible with the provided steps:
- XT1922-7 (Boost Mobile, software version Build OCP27.91-23, codename jeter)
- XT1922-5 (Brazil)
Make sure that you don’t employ the given steps on any other model or any other device other than Moto G6 Play.
- Again you need to unlock bootloader which you can do by following the same set of steps as mentioned above for Motorola G6 Plus as the bootloader unlock steps are universal for Motorola devices. Enable USB Debugging too.
- Make sure that you have taken a complete backup of all the essential data on your device before proceeding.
- Download TWRP from here.
- Based on your device’s model number please download DM Verity Disabler file from the following links.
- Download the patched boot image file from here.
- Also, you need to download Magisk v16.4 from here.
[Steps] Install Custom Recovery & Root Moto G6 Play
- Connect your Moto G6 Play to PC.
- Copy all the downloaded files to a single folder and press Shift + Right Click in that folder. Select the option ‘Open Power Shell Window’ here from the pop-up menu. Boot your device into fastboot mode by typing the following command.
adb reboot bootloader
- Next, in fastboot mode boot into TWRP Recovery by installing the same temporarily using the below given command.
fastboot boot moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img
(this is the name of the TWRP Recovery file which you downloaded above).
- If the TWRP Recovery fails to decrypt your data and asks your password, please enter the same if you have set up. If you haven’t just cancel.
- TWRP Recovery will come up. Using the below command back up the stock boot recovery of your device.
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot stockboot.img
- Again reboot into fastboot mode by entering the below command.
adb reboot bootloader
- Enter the following command to install the DM Verity Disabler file.
fastboot flash boot <filename>.img
- Next mount the vendor partition on your device and make it re-writeable by running the below command.
adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
- Install the patched boot image file using the following command.
adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
- Next select the option of Wipe from TWRP Recovery and factory reset your device. Thereafter install root access using Magisk. Just tap on ‘Install‘ button from TWRP Recovery and select the Magisk ZIP file. Swipe to confirm flash.
- Hit ‘Reboot‘ to restart your Moto G6 Play. Cool! After reboot your device will automatically get root access. You can confirm the same from Magisk Manager Application.
- In case anything goes wrong for you in following the steps you can flash install the saved stock boot image file by putting device into fastboot mode and running the following command.
fastboot flash boot <filename>.img
So, these were the steps through which you can root your Moto G6, G6 Plus as well as Moto G6 Play. In case you have any doubts or confusions please use the comments section below to ask us the same.
Also check the following posts:
- Root & Install Custom Recovery on HTC U12+.
- Unroot Samsung Galaxy S9 / Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus [Official Firmware].