Unlock Bootloader & Root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s: Xiaomi has launched the successor of Xiaomi MI Mix, the Xiaomi MI Mix 2s. Coming with a AMOLED capacitive touch screen and Snapdragon 845 it boasts of a Octa-core Kryo 385 CPU and 8 GB RAM coupled with a 256 GB memory with no SD Card slot. This guide is for advanced Android users who are looking to root their Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s device. But prior to rooting you must make sure that your Xiaomi device is adhering to the following prerequisites
Root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s | Prerequisites before Rooting
- You must make sure that bootloader of your device is unlocked.
- Download ADB and Fastboot Tool. [Detailed Guide]
- Download ADB Drivers ZIP file. [Detailed Guide]
- Download TWRP Custom Recovery. [Detailed Guide]
- Download SuperSu Zip file. [Detailed Guide]
- Charging level of your device must be 70% or above.
For the installation of ADB and Fastboot you are required to download the setup file from here. Run the executable from your Windows PC/ Laptop and you will be greeted by simple step by step installation instructions.
Now for unlocking bootloader of your Mi device, if not unlocked, you are required to follow the below-mentioned process:
Unlock Bootloader of your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s
- First and foremost, you need to avail the permission for unlocking the bootloader of your device. For that, please to the URL: http://en.miui.com/unlock/
- Click on the ‘Unlock’ button and login with your MI Account on the web page that follows.
- When you have logged in you will see a window in front of you in which you are required to enter your name, mobile number as well as the reason to unlock the bootloader of your device and click on ‘Apply Now.’ It generally takes 2-3 days to receive the unlock permission.
- Once you have got the required permission, please login to your MI Account through your Xiaomi device and head to the option of ‘MIUI Version’ in ‘Settings.’ Tap it about 5-7 times to activate the option of ‘Developer Options.’
- Inside ‘Developer Options‘ please turn on ‘OEM Unlocking‘ as well as ‘USB Debugging.’
- Thereafter come back to ‘Settings’ and click on ‘MI Unlock Status‘ -> ‘Add Account & Device.’
- Please download the MI Flash Unlock Tool and extract the contents of the downloaded package on your Windows PC/ Laptop.
- Run the executable and accept the disclaimer that will come. Thereafter please enter your MI Login Credentials. Kindly make sure that you are entering the same credentials which you used to apply to get the approval for unlocking.
- Now connect your Xiaomi device to PC and press and hold the button combination of Volume Down + Power to boot your device into fastboot mode. Once your device has entered into fastboot mode and is successfully connected to your Windows PC/ Laptop; you will see the ‘Unlock’ button getting activated on the MI Flash Unlock Tool. Please go ahead and click on the ‘Unlock‘ button.
- It will take few minutes for the process to finish. Once the unlocking process is done you will see the ‘Reboot’ button getting activated. Please hit ‘Reboot’ button to restart your device. That’s it! the bootloader of your device is unlocked now.
Do you know that you can easily change your WhatsApp theme, icons, Nav Bar etc without rooting your device. Read More: Download GBWhatsApp Apk Latest Version On Android Device | Install GBWhatsApp App Apk on Android.
Now coming to the third prerequisite; please follow the below-mentioned steps to install custom recovery, TWRP, on to your Mi Mix 2s device:
Install Custom Recovery TWRP on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s
Please note that for installation of TWRP you are required to turn on OEM Unlock and USB Debugging which has been already done by yourself while unlocking the bootloader of your Xiaomi MI Mix 2s device. Now follow the below-mentioned steps for installing TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) onto your device:
- You need to download the Minimal ADB & Fastboot exe file from the link we mentioned above and install it.
- Now you will be able to see a pop up window with On screen Instructions and you need to follow that as shown below.
- The ADB and Fastboot tool will be Installed on your device.
- Now you want to unzip the downloaded ADB Drivers zip file and move it to the desktop.
- You need to download TWRP Recovery image file for your Xiaomi device and transfer the image file to the ADB and Fastboot installation folder and rename it to ‘recovery.img.’
- Thereafter, please connect the Xiaomi device to your PC/ Laptop.
- Open the folder, where ADB and Fastboot are installed, and press Shift + Right Click. Choose the option of ‘Open Command Window Here.’
- Type the following command to reboot your device into bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Thereafter type the below command to flash install TWRP onto your Xiaomi device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- That’s it! The installation will be successful.
Now the fourth requirement was the need of charging level to be 70% or above. If not, then please charge your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s device to the required battery level. So, now we are done with all the prerequisites. Now lets come to the process to root your Xiaomi device:
Steps to Root your Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s Device
- First of all you are required to download the SuperSU.ZIP file.
- You are required to transfer the downloaded ZIP file to the internal memory of your Xiaomi MI Mix 2s device.
- Please press and hold the button combination of Volume Up + Power Button to boot your device into recovery mode.
- You will see a TWRP menu in front of you. Tap on ‘Install‘ from the menu options and thereafter you need to browse and select the SuperSU.ZIP file from the location in the internal memory where you placed the file.
- Swipe to flash install SuperSU.ZIP file onto your Xiaomi MI Mix 2s device.
- Please wait for the installation process to get over. Once the installation process gets over congratulate yourself as you have successfully rooted your Xiaomi MI Mix 2s device.
Have you rooted your device and waiting to try out some amazing mods? Read More: Download and Install Official Xposed Framework on Android.
Conclusion: Unlock Bootloader & Root Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s Device
If you want to see whether your device has been successfully rooted or not you can download the application named as ‘Root Checker’ to check the root status of your device. You can get the application directly from Google Play Store.
Please don’t hesitate to let us know, if you face any problems or issues during any stage of rooting, by dropping the same in comments section below. We will love to help our readers.
You may like the following posts:
- [How-To] Root & Install Custom Recovery in Huawei P20 | TWRP Recovery for Huawei P20.
- Unlock Bootloader and Root Xiaomi Redmi 5.