Speaking about Google Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL; the adjectives that come in mind are ‘Wonderful,’ ‘Marvelous,’ ‘Fantastic’ and similar others. If we go by the popular rumors being circulating around these are the only words that immediately make their way out of a person’s mouth. Expected to launch on October 9, 2018, the smartphones are rumored to be coming with multiplayer Augmented Reality and their own earbuds with Pixel Buds design. If you are thinking that Pixel 3 will come without a display notch then you may get disappointed with the fact that it is likely to come with a wider notch.
Good news for you is that Pixel 3 won’t be the first Google device to receive Android Pie update as Google has already officially released Android Pie for current pixel series of devices. The devices are also rumored to come with wireless charging and the big daddy Pixel 3 XL might have front facing speakers and two front facing cameras. Gosh! These are lot of rumored features. I guess we have to wait for the official release to know exactly what the Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL are holding.
This guide has been written for Android enthusiasts who love to root their devices. In this post we are going to share with you the process to root and install TWRP Custom Recovery on Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL device. Hence, you can go ahead with the process immediately after the device comes in your hand. So, let’s get going folks!
Root Pixel 3, 3XL and Install TWRP | Requirements:
Before going ahead with the procedure; you need to take care of the following prerequisites:
- Please note that the bootloader of your device must be unlocked. But, before going ahead with the process of unlocking your bootloader, you must take care that you have taken complete backup of your essential data.
- Make sure that for the completion of the entire process; your device has a charge of at least 80-85%.
- Also, for unlocking the bootloader you require installing ADB & Fastboot on your PC.
Please follow the below-mentioned steps to unlock bootloader on your Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL device.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL [STEPS]
- As a first you require activating USB Debugging and OEM Unlock. For that you require navigating to Settings -> About Phone and tapping on Build Number for about 7 time. This will activate ‘Developer Options’ and you will get both USB Debugging and OEM Unlock within it. Toggle both of them on.
- Connect your device with your PC and navigate to the folder where you have installed ADB & Fastboot on your PC. Open Command Window in the same folder and key in the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- This will reboot your device into fastboot mode and next you require typing and executing any one of the following two commands.
fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
- A critical unlock allows you to directly flash bootloader files. So, once you execute any one of the above mentioned commands your device’s bootloader will get unlocked.
So, now you have got the bootloader unlocked for your device. Next, you require installing TWRP Custom Recovery on the same as a prerequisite before rooting your device. Follow the below-mentioned steps to install the same on your Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL device.
Install Custom Recovery TWRP on Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL [STEPS]
- As a first, please download the TWRP Recovery Image on your PC and place it in the ADB & Fastboot folder. Rename it to recovery.img for convenience.
- Great! Reboot your device into bootloader mode by typing in the command
adb reboot bootloader
- Next, type in the following command to install TWRP Recovery on your device.
fastboot flash recovery.img
- This will install TWRP Recovery on your Pixel device.
Cool! Now since you have taken care of the entire prerequisites it is time that you go ahead with rooting your device.
How To Root Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL Device [STEPS]
- You require the Latest Magisk package to root Pixel device.
- Next, reboot your device into recovery mode by pressing Volume Down + Power key together.
- The TWRP Recovery menu will come in front of you. Tap on Install and select the Magisk file. Swipe to confirm flash.
- Once the flashing is over, please reboot your device.
- That’s it your Pixel device will be rooted now.
Unlock Bootloader, Root & Install TWRP Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL
So, these were the steps to unlock bootloader, root and install custom recovery on Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL devices. You might have a lot of questions in your mind. Feel free to ask the same through the comments section provided below.
You might like to read the following posts:
- Download Best Custom ROMs for Google Pixel & Google Pixel XL
- Install Android P Beta on Google Pixel, Nokia, Xiaomi, Vivo and other Devices