Honor, a subsidiary of Huawei, brought in the much awaited Honor Play in August 2018 and since then the smartphone has won the hearts of millions. Boasting a 6.3 inches Full HD + IPS LCD Display, the smartphone comes with a 4 GB RAM and a 6 GB RAM variant. For those who love to store a ton of photos, music, and videos on their smartphone, Honor Play is like dream come true as it comes with a 64 GB internal memory which can be further expanded up to 256 GB via micro SD Card. If you want to customize your Honor Play, the good news is that you can now unlock bootloader and root Honor Play smartphone as well. We are going to share with you the steps for the same in this post.
Now, you can enable state-of-the-art AR effects on your Huawei/Honor phone. Click here for more information.
Shutterbugs have got their own reason to rejoice with the new Honor Play. Apart from the voluminous 256 GB storage capacity, the smartphone packs in a 16-megapixel sensor with an f/2.2 lens as the primary camera and a 2-megapixel sensor with an f/2.4 lens, utilized for depth sensing, on the back and a 16-megapixel (f/2.0) front shooter for selfies. In this guide, we are also going to share with you the steps to install TWRP Recovery on your Honor smartphone thereby enabling you to install custom ROMs.
Before moving to the steps to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, and root Honor Play, make sure you check out the following prerequisites.
- Make sure that you take a complete backup of the essential data present on your device.
- A minimum of 80% charge is required for the process.
- You must have ADB & Fastboot installed on your PC/Laptop. You can check out the steps for the same from here.
- Please enable ‘Developer Options’ and toggle on ‘USB Debugging’ in the same.
- Please download the TWRP Image file from here.
- Download the latest Magisk Tool from here.
Once you have taken care of the mentioned prerequisites, please move ahead with the steps to unlock the bootloader of Honor Play.
How To Unlock Bootloader of Honor Play [STEPS]
The disappointing news is that Huawei has stopped providing the codes to unlock the bootloader of their devices. However, there are several third-party services which provide the facility. There is no guarantee that the code which you acquire from the third-party services will help you unlock the bootloader. However, there exists a significant majority of people who are successful in unlocking their Huawei/Honor device’s bootloader through the unofficial process. Following are some of the best bootloader unlock services for Huawei/Honor.
You can use any of the above provided third-party services to acquire the bootloader unlock code for your Honor Play device. Once you are in the possession of the code, please follow the below steps to unlock the bootloader of your device.
- As a first, please move to the folder where you have got ADB & Fastboot installed on your PC/Laptop. Please do a Shift+Right Click there and open a command window pointing to the folder.
- Please connect your device to the PC/Laptop.
- Check whether your device is successfully connected to the PC or not by executing the below command. The command upon a successful connection will return the serial number of your device.
- Next, upon confirming that your device is successfully connected, please type the following command to boot your device into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Next, utilize the following command to unlock the bootloader of your device.
fastboot oem unlock *****
- Yes! You guessed it right! You have to replace the ***** with the code that you acquired from the third-party services mentioned above.
- Great! Now just reboot your device normally using the following command.
How To Install TWRP & Root Honor Play [STEPS]
- Make sure that the TWRP image file which you have downloaded exists in the ADB & Fastboot folder only.
- Open a command window again in the folder and execute the following command to flash the TWRP Image to your device.
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk /path/to/twrp.img
- Please replace ‘twrp.img’ with the name of the TWRP Recovery image file that you have downloaded.
- After the flashing process is over, shut down your device and reboot it into recovery mode by pressing Volume Up and Power Button simultaneously.
- Once the TWRP Screen comes up, swipe to allow modifications.
- Thereafter, tap on Install and navigate to the Magisk ZIP File that you have downloaded in the steps given above. Swipe to flash Magisk on your device.
- As and when the flashing process is over, please reboot your device.
Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your Honor Play. Look for the Magisk Manager application on your device once it reboots. Please note that the first reboot might take some time so be patient.
Final Words – Unlock Bootloader, Install TWRP & Root Honor Play
That’s it! You have unlocked the bootloader of your Honor Play device, installed TWRP and rooted it as well. Please let us know in the comments section provided below whether you are able to root your device or not. In case you face any issues during the installation process or have any question to ask, please come forward with the same as well in the comments section.
Check out the following interesting posts as well:
- How To Debloat Your Huawei or Honor Phone by Uninstalling System Apps [No Root].
- How To Enter Recovery Mode on Huawei Mate 20 [Complete Guide].