Android 11 also known as Android R – the new-sprung version of Android – is announced by Google. The first developer preview – Android 11 Developer Preview 1 – is out for Google Pixel users. Please note that the developer previews rarely display any changes to the user-interface but are more on system enhancements. However, if curiosity has already got the better of you, you can follow the steps listed in this guide to install Android 11 Developer Preview 1 on your Pixel mobile device.
Check out how to Root Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro & Unlock Bootloader [Complete Guide].
Prior to proceeding to the installation steps for Android 11 DP 1, let us have a quick look on the features of the new OS. 5G connectivity, dedicated video-recording, scrolling screenshots, and improved privacy are the major highlights of Android 11 aka Android R. Going by the words of Google, Android 11 blends well in all kind of displays whether it is punch-hole, waterfall, or fold-able screens. Speaking about UI changes, Android 11 brings to us Bubbles (closely related to chat heads in FB Messenger), schedule Dark Mode, and an improved Do Not Disturb UI.
Android 11 Developer Preview 1 – Requirements for Installation
Please note that since this is a developer preview of the new Android OS, it might have a considerable number of bugs making it unsuitable for regular utilization. So, install at your own discretion. Android 11 DP 1 is available, as of now, for Pixel 2, 3, 3a, 4, and XL variants. The OTA image for the same comes around 1.6 to 1.9 GB in size. Following is the list of prerequisites for the installation of Android 11 DP 1.
- Android 11 DP 1 for Android mobile devices (OTA Images) – Click Here to Download
- Please charge your mobile device to at least 50%.
- You are required to take a complete backup of all the essential data present on your device.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC from here.
- Please enable USB Debugging on your Google Pixel mobile device – Go to Settings > About Phone > Tap “Build Number” 10 times to enable Developer Options, and then navigate to Settings > Developer Options > Enable “USB Debugging“.
Check out how to Install OxygenOS 9.0 on Xiaomi Poco F1 [Guide].
Install Android R DP 1 on Google Pixel devices [STEPS]
- Please download the OTA file from above on your PC/Laptop. Make sure you keep the downloaded OTA file in the folder where you have installed ADB & Fastboot tools.
- Please reboot your Pixel device into recovery mode. For that you require shutting down your mobile and press Volume Down + Power Button together.
- A list of options will come up in front of you. Please scroll and choose the option ‘Apple Update from ADB.’
- On your PC, navigate to the folder where you have installed ADB tools. Do a Shift+Right Click and choose option ‘Open Command Window Here‘ or ‘Open Power Shell Window Here‘ to launch the CMD interface.
- On the command window, please key in the following command to ensure that your device is connected to the computer in sideload mode.
- Next, please execute the following command (Please replace filename in the command with the name of the OTA file that you have downloaded)
adb sideload filename.zip
- Now the installation process will start. Post successful installation, please tap on ‘Reboot system now’ to reboot your Pixel device into Android 11.
Check how to Enable Dark Mode on WhatsApp (Android).
Conclusion – Android R Developer Preview 1 on Google Pixel devices
These were the simple steps to install Android 11 aka Android R Developer Preview 1 on Pixel series of mobile devices from Google. If you land into any kind of issues while following the installation steps, please reach out to us via the comments section provided below. Any kind of assistance, if required, will be delivered on a priority basis.
Check out the following interesting posts as well:
- Install Android 10 on Realme X (LineageOS 17 ROM).
- Play Google Stadia Games on any Android Phone [Root Needed].