In recent years’ android has skyrocketed in terms of features and utilities with its new updates and versions. With the great update comes great bugs and Android has received a lot of negative feedback when it comes to privacy and keeping its users’ data secure from malware and hackers. Meanwhile, social media has taken over the short message service like a storm taking over a small village.
But still, a lot of people prefer short messaging service over social media services like WhatsApp, Telegram, and Messenger. Text messages are used by our banks, two-factor authenticators, payment approval through One-time password (OTP).
There are several Third-party apps that require access to our messages and calls, so while installing them you allow them to read your messages even though you have a pattern lock enabled. To help you keep your text messages secure, we have some solutions for you explained in details, try out the one which you prefer the most. Also check: [How To] Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages on Android Devices
How To Hide / Keep Private Text Messages on Android
There are many methods available to keep your text messages private. Here are some:
Third Party SMS application (Pulse App)
There are thousands of third-party SMS applications available on play store. Some of them are trustable while the rest of them are doubtful, full of ads and bugs. But don’t worry, you don’t have to waste your time searching and trying dozens of applications, here are some of the reliable apps that we recommend you to use.
Pulse SMS is beautifully crafted text messaging application packed with all the necessary features. You can also use the dark mode, apply themes to individual conversations any many more.
To keep a conversation private
- Download the Pulse SMS app from play store.
- Set it as your default messaging app.
- Open the conversation box of the particular person you want to hide.
- Now just tap on the top right corner and tap on conversation settings.
- Scroll down a little and under the advanced section you will find the Private conversation option.
- Enable the feature.
- Pulse SMS app might ask you to set a passcode.
- Now to access the private conversations, go to home and tap on menu > choose private conversations.
Now if you receive a text message from the private conversation, the text and sender’s information will not be shown
App locker by third-party developers
This method is quite common, we all have used an AppLocker at least once in our android device but if you are not acquainted with an AppLocker, we have a recommendation for you.
App locker application let you secure your private messages from others. If you don’t have a screen lock you and your friend or sibling ask you for your phone whether to play games or make a call, App locker will prevent them from sneaking into your text messages with a layer of security. Not only SMS app but almost every app installed on your android smartphone can be password protected with App locker. You can either set a passcode or a pattern lock, it’s up to you. You can also change the themes according to your preference.
Setting up the App locker app
To set up the App locker app and protect your text messages you first have to
- Search for the app, that is, App locker, on google play store.
- Install the application and accept the term and conditions.
- Launch the application.
- Create a new pin which you can remember.
- Confirm the pin by entering it again.
- Enter your email address in the recovery option. This has to be done so that you can reset your super confidential pass code if fail to recall it.
- In the next step you will be asked to create a pattern lock, though this is not mandatory so you can also skip it.
- Now choose the application you want to secure, here we are keen to secure SMS app so search for the default messaging app on your device and tap on it to enable the security.
- If you want to protect your photos and clean the junk from your device, tap on the menu bar in the upper left corner.
Message Locker – Fingerprint
If you aren’t satisfied with the obsoleted passcode and pattern lock security, this application is for you. You can set the fingerprint lock with this application and prevent intruders to access your SMS app or any other application in your absence.
You can even set the fake error pop ups like “unfortunately the app has stopped working”.
The app also takes photos of the intruder if he/she tries to break the passcode multiple times. Cool isn’t it?
- Go to play store and search for Message Locker – finger print.
- Install the application and accept the terms and conditions.
- Launch the app and setup the fingerprint lock.
- Now follow the instructions as per the app and you are done.
Final Words: Hide Text Messages on Android and Keep SMS Private
Privacy is just a myth in this digitally advanced era. Almost every week we get a news of data breach and malware that made their way to play store.
The security of the data in our smartphone is in our hand. To keep your messages and application away from intruders you can follow the steps above and remain stress-free.